ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Problems with removing data elements

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Problems with removing data elements
  • From: "Jordyn Buchanan" <jordyn.buchanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:41:22 +0000

As discussed in today's face-to-face meeting of the TF, I've asked task
force members to identify potential problems with removing various data
fields from Whois, as is proposed in the current OPOC draft.

Also, Wendy Seltzer proposed today that the Registered Name Holder also be
removed from the Whois output, so it would be helpful to also consider
problems removing that data element may raise.

A few examples that were discussed today:

- Registered Name Holder : may make it difficult to make a UDRP complaints
since this requires a demonstrate that the registrant does not have rights
or legitimate interests in the domain, which will be difficult if you don't
know who the registrant is.
- Registered Name Holder's address:  may make it difficult to serve process
- Registered Name Holder's country: may make it difficult for law
enforcement to determine whether or not they have jurisdiction over a
particular domain

I may have captured these somewhat inaccurately, and it's possible there are
more problems as well.  On our next TF conference call, we will discuss
these issues (including their relevance to the purpose of Whois) and
consider the appropriateness of removing the various data fields.

As a refresher, the OPOC proposal would effectively remove the following
fields from a registrar's Whois output:

- All data relating to the registered name holder except for the name of the
person/entity (note:  Wendy Seltzer proposed removing the name as well)
- All data relating to the administrative and technical contact (note:
contact data for the operational point of contact would be added instead)

Jordyn