ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Changes to OPOC proposal

  • To: jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Changes to OPOC proposal
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:20:41 -0400

Jordyn Buchanan wrote:

3) Adds a section relating to notifying registrants of the changes introduced by the OPOC and of the purpose of the contacts at the time of registration.

As I mentioned on previous call, I don't believe that this is an appropriate addition to the whois policy. the registration process is already cumbersome, and it is rare that this level of detail is exposed to a registrant in the registration process surrounding the administrative, technical and other contacts. In my business, for instance, it is unlikely that any of this detail will be exposed to my customers and I will instead act as their point of contact in the same way that we act as their administrative contact. Other registrars and resellers may choose to simply designate the Registrant as the OPOC and others still may choose to expose their customers to this level of detail. I think this is a fair degree of flexibility and I'm really opposed to hardwiring this aspect of the registration process in such a prescribed way.

I would like to hear what requirement we are trying to address by prescribing this. I don't believe it has been adequately described, or perhaps I'm completely missing the point.

Regards,

--

                       -ross rader
                        general manager,

Have you checked out the NetIdentity/Nameplanet Weblog?
http://netidentity.weblog.info