ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Whois

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Whois
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:04:19 +1000

Hello Milton,

> I would ask that the GNSO Council chair approach Twomey and
> Cerf with a request to set up a conference call -- at a time
> chosen by either one of them so as to avoid schedule
> conflicts -- so that these statements of yours can be
> confirmed to us directly, and so that we can for a short time
> ask relevant questions about its meaning.

I can confirm that I raised the same issue with Paul Twomey when I saw
the wording in the JPA, and he gave the same assurances that Denise
Michel has provided.   I can ask him to confirm the statement from
Denise in writing, but I am sure that Denise would have consulted with
him prior to posting.

I recommend that the WHOIS task force continue with its present work
with the objective to have a substantial proposal to present in Sao
Paulo.   As with any change, there will be plenty of people to convince
that the recommendations improve the global Internet's systems of unique
identifiers.   This will require explaining the benefits of the
recommendations, and also addressing any concerns.  I expect that the
GAC will probably come out with a fairly strong statement of
requirements for any replacement "system", which they will probably call
"WHOIS".    I would assume that these requirements will be consistent
with those expressed during the GAC workshop in Morocco.   A replacement
"system" may comprise of a service with no access controls, plus a
description of other mechanisms for legitimate parties to access the
information that is not available via the open access service (see terms
of reference no. 3).

Note that the task force also needs to determine how to improve the
process for notifying a registrar of inaccurate WHOIS data, and the
process for investigating and correcting inaccurate data.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin