ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Whois

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Whois
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:07:57 -0400

>>> "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/02/06 7:04 PM
>>>
> I expect that the GAC will probably come out with a fairly strong
>statement of requirements for any replacement "system", which
>they will probably call "WHOIS".

No, the GAC will be developing a set of consensus principles regarding
public policy. Consensus policy principles are not "requirements" in the
sense that you engineers use the term. Since there is no uniformity
among GAC members regarding the privacy/access to data trade off, those
principles will be fairly generic. One of those principles is likely to
be, "national law applies," don't you think? Most national governments
can agree on that. ;-)