ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Note from Paul Twomey regarding WHOIS clause in the Affirmation of Responsibilities Resolution passed by the Board last week.

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Note from Paul Twomey regarding WHOIS clause in the Affirmation of Responsibilities Resolution passed by the Board last week.
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 07:00:47 -0700

Whois. There is nothing in our RRA about a Billing Contact&nbsp;for
Whois&nbsp;and there are no concensus policies that change that.</div>
Contact&nbsp;for data retention purposes only.</div>
<DIV id=wmMessageComp name="wmMessageComp"><BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Note
from Paul Twomey regarding WHOIS clause<BR>in the Affirmation of
Responsibilities Resolution passed by the Board<BR>last week.<BR>From: Ross
Rader &lt;ross@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Wed, October 04, 2006 4:06 am<BR>To:
Bruce Tonkin &lt;Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc:
gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR><BR>a) I'm a bit surprised that paul didn't
bother to send us a note directly.<BR><BR>b) then why is this text in here in
the first place. Isn't ICANN always <BR>bound to enforce its
policies?<BR><BR>Something still doesn't add up about all of this. In the
meantime, I'm <BR>dying to find out what ICANN's existing policy on Whois
billing contact <BR>data is. Perhaps Paul could answer this for us as
well.<BR><BR>Bruce Tonkin wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &nbsp;<BR>&gt; Mr Bruce
Tonkin<BR>&gt; Chair<BR>&gt; Generic Names Supportin!
 g Organisation<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Dear Bruce<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; It would appear
that speculation continues among some members of the<BR>&gt; community as to
the meaning of the WHOIS clause in the Affirmation of<BR>&gt; Responsibilities
Resolution passed by the Board last week.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I thought it would
be useful for me to write to you to make clear my<BR>&gt; understanding, and my
understanding of the Board, on this.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; There is nothing in the
WHOIS clause in the Resolution which prohibits<BR>&gt; any proper and complete
development of new policy in accordance with<BR>&gt; ICANN's bylaws. &nbsp;The
text in the Affirmation of Responsibilities is a<BR>&gt; statement of policy as
it presently stands - not a statement of what is<BR>&gt; immutable or what we
can't do.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; This clause in the Affirmation of Responsibilities
Resolution is not,<BR>&gt; and cannot be, counter to the ICANN bylaws,
including those which<BR>&gt; outline ICANN's policy de!
 velopment procedures.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; But if, and until, there is any
 change to the WHOIS policy according to<BR>&gt; these procedures, ICANN will
continue to enforce the existing WHOIS<BR>&gt; policy like we would do any
other policy. &nbsp;Indeed resources are<BR>&gt; earmarked in this year's
operational plan for such compliance work.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; On the topic of the
ongoing work on WHOIS, I would note that as part of<BR>&gt; a broader WHOIS PDP
process other Supporting Organisations and Advisory<BR>&gt; Committees will
have the opportunity to comment on any policy work if<BR>&gt; and when it is
passed on by the Council. &nbsp;But this is like any other<BR>&gt; policy
considered by the Board.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I understand that the general thrust
of what I have written above has<BR>&gt; already been communicated to the
Council by Denise Michel.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I hope this will give some clarity
to members of the Council and the<BR>&gt; GNSO constituencies.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
I would appreciate it if you were to share this communication wi!
 th the<BR>&gt; Council members, the public WHOIS list, and constituencies you
consider<BR>&gt; relevant.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Kind regards,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
Paul<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Dr Paul
Twomey<BR>&gt; President and CEO<BR>&gt; ICANN<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
&lt;mailto:paul.twomey@xxxxxxxxx&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; </BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>