ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Request for Clarification

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Request for Clarification
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 18:32:49 -0400

Jordyn;

In reading through the draft report that Maria has prepared, I've become concerned that the document puts far too much emphasis on the recent proposal that the TF has initiated a discussion of, and gives it equal "billing" with the proposal that the task force has been substantively considering and developing for almost a year.

I do not believe that 3 weeks of consideration is enough time for this task force to adequately consider the IPC proposal to the extent that it would need to in order for it to be given the relative weight that the draft report has. At best the IPC report should be considered as a minority submission to the process.

My personal view is that this last minute submission will have the effect of polarizing this working group and completely stall out the little progress we were making. We saw this with the earlier last minute submission of the joint IPC/BC/ISPC "proposal" about the purpose of whois. I do not wish to repeat this process again. It is counter-productive, disingenuous and completely contrary to what this policy development process was intended to be.

I would like to make a formal request that the last minute IPC proposal be given a more appropriate standing in this document, either as a minority submission of the IPC, or as part of their constituency submission through the public comment process.

Barring this alternative, I would like to request that each other constituency be given the same standing that has been given to the IPC so that we may each submit our own proposal as to how the TOR might best be address, net of any compromises that have been made in the OPOC proposal as the result of the TF considerations.

Regards,

Ross Rader
Director, Research and Innovation
Tucows Inc.