ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Hybrid Tiered Access Proposal (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois)

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Hybrid Tiered Access Proposal (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois)
  • From: "Jordyn Buchanan" <jordyn.buchanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 11:45:30 -0500

Second idea--this incorporates elements of both the OPOC proposal as well as
the "special circumstances proposal" (and the current practice in .name).

1) Standard Whois output is changed as per the OPOC proposal.

2) A second tier of data is available, which includes further information
(the registrant street address, in particular).  This information is made
available to parties that enter into a contract with the registrar
indicating that they will not use the data for various bad purposes (TBD).
This is somewhat similar to the model currently used by .name as well as in
the Bulk Whois space.

3) Those with "special circumstances" can apply, through a similar mechanism
to Steve's proposal, to have ALL of their personal contact information
removed from both Tier #1 and Tier #2 (information about the OPOC would
remain).

This is similar to what .name has implemented, with the added option of the
"special circumstances" opt out for those with very strong privacy concerns.

Jordyn