ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: Hybrid Tiered Access Proposal (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois)

  • To: <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Hybrid Tiered Access Proposal (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois)
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:22:05 -0800

Thanks for this as well Jordyn.

Our concerns with tiered access (which is your point 2) center on
scalability. What may work for .name, a thick registry which holds all
the Whois data (data for which there is very little demand, by the way),
would be much harder to apply to 800 + registrars (or even 200+ if that
is the "real" number).   Similarly, a need for .name Whois data occurs
so rarely that it may not be a major problem to stop and "enter into a
contract" before accessing it. We have not been able to figure out a way
this could possibly work in .com without major delays.  The problem
occurs on the other side of the transaction too; there are a limited
number of entities interested in bulk access so managing contracts with
them is not a problem in principle, but potentially millions of Whois
requesters would want access to the higher tier of data, and that could
be problematic even if the data, or even just the contractual mechanism,
were centralized on the data provider side.

Point 3 is sort of the flip-side of our proposal, and as I read it would
lead to a situation in which accurate contact data could not be obtained
at all.  Or would there be a Tier #3 of requesters who would be able to
access data under these circumstances?

However, as with your other proposal, I would want other eyes to take a
look and see what could be adapted to the special circumstances
proposal.  Thanks for putting this forward.

Steve