ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Intel privacy initiative

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Intel privacy initiative
  • From: "David W. Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:19:10 -0600

As a matter of general interest to this Task Force, I am forwarding a message sent by Dave Farber to his IP list a couple of days ago.
The general subject is that "Intel is pleased to announce an open-source-style license aimed at
preserving information privacy."
Please note especially the statement by Intel that "We collectively became concerned about
potential misuses of location-aware technology, particularly in cases of vulnerable people like battered spouses."
WHOIS is, of course, "location-aware technology", and I suggest that this initiative by Intel be studied carefully by our Task Force.
David