ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Intel privacy initiative

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Intel privacy initiative
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 04:56:29 -0500

I appreciate having this forwarded as of 'general interest'. I see some
rationale for using the TF in a limited and appropriate manner for sharing
matters that are of general interest, if they are directly applicable to the
ToR of a TF, or are useful background that is clearly applicable.

I'm not fully clear on the applicability to the TF ToR, but after all as a
TF, we are responsible for undertaking informed dialogue and examination.
Thus, I am happy to understand the applicability of this particular industry
announcement. However, since we need, as a TF to work within the ToR we have
been given, we may not actually be able to branch out too much. Although if
the TF sees considerable other materials that they have not examined,
including this announcement by Intel about their work in open source
licensing in 'location aware technology', this could be noted in the TF
report to Council.   Individuals who have a perspective that something is
applicable could provide a paragraph to the staff to describe the
applicability, thus if the TF doesn't see the direct relationship to the
ToR, they can still have their individual/or constituency interest in things
like the attached noted in the report.

However, in the event that this is a special instance and should merit a
renewed very quick study by the TF, in order to help me rationalize to my
constituency the addition of studying something like this within the TF
itself, can you help further on what the rationale would be to propose
studying this in particular? And whether there is perhaps a longer list of
useful technology announcements or projects that should be compiled, if they
can be shown as directly relevant to inform the considerations of Council on
the WHOIS policy issues?

Best regards,

Marilyn Cade
BC Representative to the WHOIS TF