ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Revised Preliminary Task Force Report on Whois Services

  • To: Maria Farrell <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Revised Preliminary Task Force Report on Whois Services
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:47:56 -0500

Jordyn/Maria;

This particular phrase keeps changing back and forth between "could" and "should". I don't believe that we have consensus that awareness of the contact types *should* be approved, in fact I and others have spoken against this type of activity being included in policy on grounds that ICANN consumer protection or consumer awareness are not within ICANN's scope. The last version said "could", this version says "should".

From what I can tell from the redline history, this was changed pursuant to Steve's draft after the earlier changes were reviewed and accepted by the TF on the call two weeks ago. I don't believe that this last change was discussed before it was accepted and merged into the draft we have before us.

My strong preference would be to revert back to the prior language that "awareness of registrants about the contacts could be improved..." on the basis that it is more consistent with the TF discussions and the text that immediately follows the statement.

"The task force generally agreed that awareness of registrants about the contacts should be improved, especially if a different type of contact – the OPoC – was introduced."

Were there some level of agreement to the proposal that the registrars floated that consumer awareness about the new policy be conducted through the implementation of best practices at the registrar level as we have done in the past, then we could probably support changing this statement to "should", but until there is some agreement on the tactics, I don't believe that we can move on to making the statement that we *should* raise awareness.

Thanks,

-ross