ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Comments on the Revised Preliminary Task Force Report on Whois Services

  • To: "'Maria Farrell'" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Comments on the Revised Preliminary Task Force Report on Whois Services
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 04:54:16 -0500

Dear Maria, Jordyn and fellow TF members

Thanks Maria, for the quick turn around on the Preliminary Task Force
Report. I understand that we are intended to vote on this on Monday.
However, I have sent to the full TF my suggestions for adding in the
appropriate references to the Council's WHOIS Resolution, as well as the
full description of the Council's resolution regarding the discussion of the
two options on purpose of contact data. I also note that actually, on page
7, you missed the final report of the WHOIS Task Force/ I just emailed the
document to you from the archive.

Also, throughout the document, Task Force occurs some times as task force. I
also corrected/or at least offered a correction of the Council's designation
of Jordyn as an independent expert, without voting, and Avri Doria, as an
independent expert, with voting rights.

There is also one clarification question about when the request to the
constituencies is actually being made and that the date be inserted when
that date is determined and the dates of the opening and closing of the
public comment period.

I do need clarification, Jordyn, on how you will progress the call on Monday
related to the voting on the report, since I have to arrange to leave
drafting sessions at the ITU Plenipot in order to participate in the call.
Are you reviewing the report by sections and approving?

Also, a point of order: I believe that the policy TFs  have evolved to using
a 'strong support, medium support, etc. A Task Force actually does not 'show
consensus'; that is the responsibility of the Council, as I recall, in a
supermajority vote. I would recommend that staff and chair consult with Liz
Williams/Avri Doria and perhaps Bruce/Liz regarding how we are 'showing
support' in the other TFs, so that we have some consistency. Even if we
think we as a TF are able to discern and manage different approaches, we are
after all trying to gather public comment and the public will be receiving
two other TF reports in the near future as well - PDP 05 and PDP 06.

Thus, for clarification, chair, are we first showing support to sections,
and then taking a show of support to approving the document for public
comment?

I am sorry to be late in getting to this, but many of my comments were fixed
by other TF members and by Maria, as you have evolved the document; thus I
offer a  minimum of input. Like everyone I am struggling to get ICANN policy
comments done while doing my day job.

  _____