ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] proposal related to WHOIS Improvements

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] proposal related to WHOIS Improvements
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:59:32 -0500

Hi,

On 15 dec 2006, at 14.00, Marilyn Cade wrote:

<WHOIS - Pragmatic Steps toward Balanced Approaches to Improvements.doc>

Thanks for posting the proposal. One thing that concerns me is that it proposes a solution before understanding the full scope and implications of the requirements.

As many have been arguing for a while, whois is an operationally broken tool, in that it cannot even fulfill its original function let alone the complex of other functions that been overloading it. for example, discussions in São Paolo with the GAC showed that there is a compicated structure of international and national constraints on the publication for personal data that require a policy structure that could not be instantiated with whois. I beleive that overlaying this complexity on whois would be imposibile, and if tried would only break whois further. It is also clear that there are no current solutions for the operational problem of verifying the data displayed by whois.

I think that a first step to any pragmatic solution would require a real requirements analysis of the complex of legal, operational and technical constraints. Then it would be appropriate to seek solutions to the legal, operational and technical issues.

In the meantime, the only reasonable, secure and stable solution I can see is to remove the requirement for support of whois.

thanks

a.