ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] FW: MarkMonitor's WHOIS Comments

  • To: maggie.mansourkia@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] FW: MarkMonitor's WHOIS Comments
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:52:26 -0500

So even though there are demonstrable issues with a portion of the dataset, you would like us to proceed on faith that the rest of the dataset is valid? That makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as the audit activities go, there were several organizations listed on their submission that have taken very strong pro-privacy and pro-internet positions in the past. Positions that were completely contrary to what MarkMonitor was espousing. It didn't take much in terms of executive level investigation to find substantial issues with MarkMonitor's representations about the status of the "co-signators".

This document should be viewed as one document espousing one set of views and not be given any special consideration because of the weight of the supposed support that comes with it.

Following through with your logic, I will start opting companies into my positions without their knowledge, but give them the opportunity to write ICANN and let the TF know that they don't really support my position. Verizon supports this approach, as does the MPAA and AT&T. And if they don't, have them write in to let us know that I've mispresented your views.

maggie.mansourkia@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Ok, I didn't realize that we'd been tasked with "auditing" submissions and I'm getting confused. The companies listed are not single person organization, and if someone with authority to do so, signed onto a letter, and yet someone else at the company is not aware of it, why would we have authority (or even the time) to second guess the organization's position?

It seems to me that if a company was inappropriately listed, then it is incumbent upon the organization to submit a statement to ICANN in that regard, regardless of whether they wish to advocate any position at all. Since most of the names listed are substantial companies with household names and very strong representation, it doesn't seem likely that they were somehow fooled by MarkMonitor to endorse a position if they do not in fact do so.

If any of the organizations indicate that the organization's name does not belong on the letter, then it should certainly be noted along with other submissions, but I'm not sure how a private conversation with one member of a task force is supposed to be indicative of several organizations' positions.

*"Ross Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>* Sent by: owner-gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxx

01/23/2007 01:26 PM
Please respond to
ross@xxxxxxxxxx

To "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx> cc gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject Re: [gnso-dow123] FW: MarkMonitor's WHOIS Comments

Despite this, the interactions I have had with those who supposedly
support this document, have in fact turned out not to support this
document. I have not contacted over 100 companies, nor will I, but in
the small audit that I conducted, a clear majority of those listed as
signatories, were in fact ignorant of the issues and not supportive of
the MarkMonitor position.

I think its fine to accept the MarkMonitor submission at face value, but
I would also like to ensure that the official record is clear that those
listed as signatories are not necessarily supportive of the positions
espoused and the number of signatures should not be given any weight in
our, or ensuing, deliberations.

-ross