ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] FW: MarkMonitor's WHOIS Comments

  • To: maggie.mansourkia@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] FW: MarkMonitor's WHOIS Comments
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:18:35 -0500

maggie.mansourkia@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Demonstrable to who?? to whom?? Pardon the grammar, but you get the point. What Verizon supports is that organizations indicate their respective positions via the process established by ICANN, rather than through private conversations with a task force member.

MarkMonitor was very clear that there were issues with their submission - i.e. that they listed the Mozilla Corporation when in fact the Mozilla Corporation did not endorse their position, that they listed dotberlin as a supporter, when in fact dotberlin is not a supporter. This doesn't take into account the "private conversations" - their own clarifications make the case for me.

ICANN's PDP supports a comment process that allows individuals and organizations to make their views known. It doesn't provide for petition cramming. As an indication of support for a particular position, the MarkMonitor submission is no more useful and appropriate than supportive comments made by a line up of paid shills at the microphone during the ICANN public forum.

As I've said, we should take their submission as written and ensure that any new views it presents is taken into account during our consideration. However, given the highly questionable nature of the validity and authenticity of the co-signatures, this document does not warrant any special consideration at any level during the PDP.

-ross