ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

Re: [gnso-dt-wg] Collecting Facts

  • To: Jay Westerdal <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Danny Younger'" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dt-wg] Collecting Facts
  • From: Philip Lodico <phil.lodico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:53:11 -0400

Jay,

The quote in question refers to data from a report published by Mark Monitor
in April of this year.

Below is a link to the full report:

www.brandchannel.com/images/papers/329_brandjacking-report-april-2007.pdf

The numbers could ultimately be marginally higher or lower, but the fact of
the matter is that millions of names are tied up in kiting, many of which
are being used to harm consumers.  Things are obviously not working, and as
a pro-consumer / pro-business group, CADNA is concerned about this.

The data suggests that kiting does not necessarily occur only on names where
the annual revenue is equal to or below the registry fee.  If you take into
account that one only has 5 days (under the current AGP) to make the
determination to keep the name, it does not seem impossible that one would
want to see more than 1.5 cents (the rough daily revenue necessary to break
even at $6.20) per day in revenue before making a decision to keep a name.

Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,
Phil Lodico

--

Philip M. Lodico, Managing Partner
FairWinds Partners, LLC

Please visit the updated Web site for The Coalition Against Domain Name
Abuse at: http://www.cadna.org

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete this
e-mail and all attachments from your system.