ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

RE: [gnso-dt-wg] Collecting Facts/and then analyzing them

  • To: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dt-wg] Collecting Facts/and then analyzing them
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:50:50 -0400

OK.

Maybe I should step in here, because it was my idea to do the RFI
approach as opposed to a survey.

All, I proposed an RFI precisely to avoid all of the problems that have
been talked about in the e-mails.  The point now is NOT for a survey.
They point is to throw out an RFI in hopes of getting all sides of the
story in free form.  Hopefully to get submissions of white papers,
points of view, registry and registrar stats, etc.

This is NO different than what many governments do to study an issue
when they are just starting out.  It is what happened initially when the
US government put out the "Green Paper" before the White Paper.....  Its
what is supposed to happen when an issue starts out.

At this stage, we are trying specifically to NOT create questions to get
meaningful statistics.  In other words, we will not (at least if I can
help it) be stating that X% of those responding said that tasting was a
good or bad idea.  We are trying to get everyone's viewpoint so that we
have a place to start.

Again, I want to repeat.  This is NOT a survey.  This is a Request for
Information.  Anyone can submit anything they would like for the ad hoc
group to consider.  We are not trying to create biased questions, but
rather focus the comments on specified areas.

I have not fully reviewed the questions, but that is the intent.

I guess for a final time I will state that this is NOT intended to be a
survey.

I would be happy to discuss further with the group on the call this
week.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  & Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.