ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

R: [gnso-dt-wg] Quantifying the Registrar Benefit

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: R: [gnso-dt-wg] Quantifying the Registrar Benefit
  • From: "Francesco Cetraro" <francescoc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:50:17 +0200

Danny,
I would like to point out a couple of things about your quote from "modern
domainer":

1) Besides the fact that different registrars may or may not charge for
deleting a domain withing AGP and regardless of the name given to this fee, for
those registrars that do not have this "add&delete" game as a product, the
deletion of a domain within the terms of AGP might bring extra costs (in terms
for instance of support and manual intervention to delete the domain) that
might justify a fee. Also, for those registrars who do not wish their users to
"taste" domains through them, a "restocking fee" could be a good way to make
tasters choose a different registrar instead. In other words, I do not see
anything particularly wrong with a registrar charging a restocking fee just
because the registry does not charge one.

2) As a term of reference, you might want to take a look at what Pool.com
offers in this field. They have a product called "Catch&Release"
http://www.pool.com/CNRLanding.aspx which allows customers to "evaluate
domains" for a small fee (this is the only one I could find. Other known
"tasting-friendly" registrars are less keen on providing details about their
activities on their public websites). Incidentally, when you look at this you
realize how PIR's 5 cents restocking fee does not really have any deterring
effect on professional "domain evaluators". It should be noted that pool.com
itself is not an icann accredited registrar, but they are affiliated with a
number of registrars with the same owner.

Best Regards
Francesco Cetraro
Ascio Technologies inc.