ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

RE: [gnso-dt-wg] IPC RFI Report

  • To: "'Philip Lodico'" <phil.lodico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Rosette, Kristina'" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, "'Jeffrey Eckhaus'" <jeckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Neuman, Jeff'" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dt-wg] IPC RFI Report
  • From: "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:24:57 -0700

Philip,
Your analysis are flawed on so many different levels.

The biggest impact will be on regular consumers. There are 70,000 people a
day that register domain names. There are less then 10 people that are large
scale domain tasters. How can effecting 10 people justify causing 70,000
days of lost domain registrations?  Why not stop domain tasting without
effecting imediate resolution of domains? Why are you missing the simple
solution?

Even 2 percent of these customers complaining that there domain doesn't work
in the first 24 hours would cause about 15 minutes of busy work. Assuming
people's time is worth $20 an hour on average. That is $7,000 a day plus
another $1,000 resolution time. So $8,000 a day in damages. Or over
$2,500,000 dollars in damages a year.

Your trust that consumers are willing to "sacrifice immedidate gradication"
is flawed.

The simple solution is what PIR did. Just limit the domains that can be
deleted and the ratio will not allow domain tasting at all unless you are a
large registrar like GoDaddy with enough adds to offset the deletes. Even
then, GoDaddy or a large adding registrar would be limited to the number of
domains they could taste. This is a simple solution.

Jay

  _____