ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

Re: [gnso-dt-wg] IPC RFI Report

  • To: Jay Westerdal <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, Jeffrey Eckhaus <jeckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dt-wg] IPC RFI Report
  • From: Philip Lodico <phil.lodico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:08:08 -0400

Jay -

To clarify, by volume I am referring to domain names and not independent
registrants.  Furthermore, by large tasting registrars I am referring to the
10 or so Jay points out.  This is not meant as a sweeping generalization.

While activation would impact the number of usage days an individual gets on
their initial one year term, I think considering it is worthwhile as we
progress through this.  Activation would drastically reduce the volume and
thus the overall impact, since those 10 you reference are making up the
majority of adds/drops.

In regards to your math on ³damages², if the activation solution were to be
the way this was handled, there would need to be time spent educating
consumers which would in turn reduce the ongoing complaint calls and thus
limit long term damage.  I do not disagree though that Registrars would
incur cost to do this in the short term.

In addition, while I believe that a solution similar to the one employed by
PIR may work, as you know the landscape in the .ORG space is quite different
than that of the .COM space.  The ability to monetize traffic in the .COM
space is based upon inherent direct navigation traffic, which does not exist
on the same scale in .ORG.

Your simple solution may ultimately work, and I am for it if it does, but it
will have to reasonable economics and ratios in order to have the desired
effect of discouraging the negative aspects of tasting.

The bottom line is that it is important to consider and talk through these
different avenues, so I appreciate the comments and dialogue.

Phil Lodico