ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

RE: [gnso-dt-wg] Reviewing GTLD price increases' impact to tasting activity

  • To: gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dt-wg] Reviewing GTLD price increases' impact to tasting activity
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:44:20 -0700

Kristina, I think the idea is that the names being tasted at this point
are all out on the long tail of any potential return. So the threshold
for a name to be considered profitable is very narrow between its return
and its cost. A increase in registration cost would make it even
narrower and perhaps bring into the question whether tasting continues
to be a practical way to try to find the names that would still return a
profit.

I think that argument *may* have some merit, but I'm not completely
convinced either. Regardless, if that is the case, we should be able to
see the impact (or lack thereof) by monitoring the zone file activity
and not have to wait for the registry reports to be posted. And of
course, the registries can report on the impact separately and sooner
themselves if they choose to.

Tim