ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-et]

Re:: [gnso-et] Final Candidate list & process from here

  • To: "<KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>" <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re:: [gnso-et] Final Candidate list & process from here
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:00:01 +0300

Hi

On Mar 9, 2010, at 7:28 PM, <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx> <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anybody know how the council voting procedure shall be next week? Are
> they going to vote on each single applicant or just on the bunch?

Attempts to start focused conversations on voting procedures have not met with
great success, which is a pity, especially if someone asks at the open meeting
how we plan to proceed.

I really think we should keep things as simple as possible.  There's no reason
for this to be regarded as mysterious, complex, or vexing.  Here's my
suggestion, which I would not know how to describe the status of sans feedback
and approval.  Anyone asks in the open meeting we'll just have to say Council's
still sorting the details.

There are 3 allocated candidates, hopefully 2 candidates for unaffiliated, and
thus 6 for the open slot.  If 1 unaffiliated, then 7---depends on the ET's
classification, TBD.

In the latter 2 cases we vote.  All candidates are listed on the ballot in
their respective pools, the endorsements are simply signaling devices to
hopefully promote mutual adjustment.

I don't think we need an abstain option.  It's not a binary between two
choices, someone doesn't want x to win, they vote for y.

Staff can put on the Adobe two lists of names, one for seat 5, one for 6, we go
around the call, people give their first preference, staff puts a mark next to
the names.

Someone gets a simple majority, they win.  They don't, we run a second round
and see if votes shift to allow winners.  If there's no winners after two
rounds we stop and submit just the three allocated names.  If there are
winners, we are bound by our rules to assess the slate by the diversity
criteria and try to make adjustments if necessary.  That would be a difficult
process, one I very much hope we can avoid.

The various scenarios are very much dependent on how the ET distributes the
candidates to categories.