ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-et]

Re: [gnso-et] Proposed Agenda for Council Special Meeting on 15 March

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-et] Proposed Agenda for Council Special Meeting on 15 March
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:14:22 +0100

Hi Chuck

Thanks for this.  As Caroline has noted, there will soon be a message from the
ET reflecting our discussion of possible recommendations.

Personally I think the process is straightforward and there's no reason for the
call to be particularly difficult.  We have four SG allocated slots that
definitely go forward to J&P and two slots open to competitive votes under very
simple procedures, e.g. each councilor votes for their preferred from the two
lists (taking into account SG endorsements and ET assessment), if no simple
majority we do a second round, if that fails we stop and just send the
allocated names.  The only real wrinkle is that the diversity provisions we put
in when we were assuming larger applicant pool that had to be sorted may or may
not prove necessary.   Happily the language is flexible, so let's see.  Just
one comment on your run down:

In the bits on the two voted slots you say,

"If there is not a simple majority of support in both houses for a candidate,
then the GNSO will not endorse a candidate for this slot and will then only
submit a slate of five candidates who are endorsed.  A second round of
discussion and polling for each candidate will be done if needed."

I presume you mean by this that if say slot 5 fails but slot 6 succeeds, or
vice versa, there'd be five.  Of course, it is also possible that both slots
fail to get simple majorities of both houses after two rounds, in which case
we'd be submitted just the four allocated names.  From the selectors'
standpoint that probably wouldn't be a bad outcome, one assumes they settled on
four for GNSO thinking there should be one from each SG, so why not have each
SG's strongest preference anyway.  And actually, since they've done it this way
things get more complicated if anyone wins slots 5 & 6, not only because that
could make operative the agreed diversity language, but also because there'd
then be the possibility J&P might select someone other than a given SG's
allocated person, in which case that SG might feel a little unhappy with the
outcome.

Cheers,

Bill

On Mar 12, 2010, at 11:40 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Attached is a proposed agenda for the Council Special Meeting on 15 March.
> Please review it and provide feedback as soon as possible if anything needs
> to be corrected.  I found it quite awkward preparing an agenda when there is
> still critical information needed, but my hope is to at least have a template
> that we can easily use to finalize the agenda on Sunday.  All suggestions are
> welcome.
>
> Glen - Please go ahead and fill in any of the general information needed
> including links as possible.
>
> Chuck
> <Agenda for GNSO Special Meeting 15 March 1010.doc>

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and