ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] short organizat meeting on fast flux Thursday9AM Paris time -- meeting summary

• To: gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] short organizat meeting on fast flux Thursday9AM Paris time -- meeting summary
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:25:20 -0700

I hope this message makes the list.

That's for the summary Mike. I had some thoughts on the fast flux issue. Let me see if I can outline it.

I'm wondering if ICANN can have the root servers provide some statistical information to the public through DNS requests that would allow any third party to determine certain non-private information about domains through a DNS request. Information like the age of the domain, the number of times the name servers have changed in the last 3 days, etc. For example, suppoe we took the domain icann.info and had it return information as follows:

dig example.com.nameserverchanges.icann.info TXT

This would return a TXT record something like: "3 12 48"

The 3 numbers would indicate something like changes in the last 6 hours. Changes in the last day, and changes in the last 4 days. The above example would indicate that the domain example.com is switching DNS every 2 hours. Most domains would read all zeros with an occasional 1 or 2.

Furthermore a request like this.

dig example.com.domainage.icann.info TXT

Would return a TXT record with the domain age in days. That way new domains can easily be detected I believe that this kind of information might be a useful tool in providing a solution to fast flux hosting. This kind of info, like the name server changes could be read by web browsers and the browser could warn or prevent the user from viewing a fast flux host site.

Are you all familiar with the idea of providing information through DNS other than IP lookup?

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy