ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Jump start on answering GNSO questions regarding fast flux

  • To: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Jump start on answering GNSO questions regarding fast flux
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 20:09:52 -0700

Marc,

I operate a micro-registrar, am CTO for a larger (but still, not major) registrar, which also operates two registry backends. ICANN doesn't suspend domains, if anything, eventually, it encourages registrars to meet their contractual requirements to the registrants, and registries, and to ICANN. The eventual form of "encouragement" is deaccreditation, see RegisterFly and two smaller registrars recently deaccredited. The only "nameservers" of interest that ICANN "controls" are the IANA root servers, and that's (a) not germane to FF, and (b) the word "control" really isn't without nuances. So, those are reasonable novice questions, but they lead to dead ends.

One of the possible mechanisms available to all of us is the "knob" on how frequently registries and/or registrars all NS records to be updated. There are others.

Rather than asking ICANN for data (which it doesn't actually have), you may want to build views from the zone files, which you can obtain by contract with each registry, e.g., Verisign.

I'm glad to see someone from you part of the industry involved. For most of the purposes of this exercise "we" (this policy development process' bottom-up stakeholder participants) "are" (presently) "ICANN" (modulo the fact that we're not the GNSO Council, nor the Board of Directors) assisted by the ever helpful ICANN staffer(s) assigned to this PDP, Liz and possibly also Glen. Mike O'Conner, who I suspect you know through your constituency, is our chair.

Eric

Marc Perkel wrote:

Hello, I'm marc Perkel owner of junk Email Filter. we are a spam filtering company. And I tend to be very innovate when it comes to sollutions to problems.

I have a question about the process. In order to get to a solution I need to know what the options are. I assume icann can suspend domains of people who cause trouble. ICANN can control anything on its own nameservers. I assume ICANN can control how often name server settings can be changed? Or does the registrars do that?

Can ICANN provide additional information about a domain using DNS. For example, I used DNS to provide blacklist/whitelist information about IP addresses and domain names. If - for example, I could read the age of a domain and read the number of times the dame servers changed I could identify fraud and phishing going through our servers. Extra info can help me block spam and make phishing unprofitable.

Is this a possibility?