ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions

  • To: "'Marc Perkel'" <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:31:14 -0400

Dear Marc:

In answer to your questions:
"Is it within the scope of what ICANN can do to ask/require registries to
make available more information about a domain?" Specifically:

1) "The domain's registrar": ICANN-regulated TLDs (and their registrars) are
already required to publish that information via WHOIS.  ICANN has no say
over the WHOIS practices of ccTLDs, and ccTLD practices in this particular
area vary.

2) "The number of days old based on the current domain owner":
ICANN-regulated TLDs (and their registrars) publish current registrant
contact info via WHOIS.  ICANN has no say over the WHOIS practices of
ccTLDs, and ccTLD practices in this particular area vary.
        There's a more fundamental issue, I believe: fast-fluxing domain
names are not usually old domains that have changed hands.  In my
experience, fast-fluxing names are of more recent vintage, and were
purchased by the entities that are hosting them on fast-flux setups.
        Also, cyber-criminals tend to either a) use fake contact data, or b)
use proxy contact services.  Either way, their registrant data is often
unreliable or is obscured.
        Also, you are asking a question about changes to the registrant
information.  Note that a change to registrant information is not always a
change in real ownership.  (For example, a company can change its name.  And
many entities put a person's name in the Registrant Name field, and those
names change as people come and go at the organization.)

3) "The number of name server changes made in the last 3 days?"  I suppose
ICANN could require such from the ICANN-regulated TLDs via a consensus
policy or contract changes, but this is unlikely.  There is no way for ICANN
to require it from ccTLDs.
        There's a technical issue with this solution: most flux is not
accomplished by changing the nameservers associated with a domain name.
It's accomplished at a level below the registry, and the real issue is the A
records.  So those changes may not be reflected in registry records at all,
and having a registry report in the manner you suggest would be of limited
use.

So, I do not think that the solutions #2 and #3 above address the means by
which fast-flux is executed.

All best,
--Greg