ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions

  • To: gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:46:14 -0700

Greg Aaron wrote:
Dear Marc:

There's a more fundamental issue, I believe: fast-fluxing domain
names are not usually old domains that have changed hands.  In my
experience, fast-fluxing names are of more recent vintage, and were
purchased by the entities that are hosting them on fast-flux setups.
I thought that grabbing up domains that recently expired might be something that fast flux abuser might be attracted to.

But more importantly - and this addresses Wendy's free speech issue - if the domain has been an older stable domain and it is now fast fluxing then it means that they were either hacked or they are using fast flux for free speech because they are fighting some oppressive goverenment trying to shut them down.

What I'm saying is that age of the domain (short and fluxing) means something different that and established domain (old and fluxing). If people like me could read this information through DNS (not Whois) then that would be helpful in distinguishing free speech from bank fraud.