ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions

  • To: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:18:04 -0700

Marc,

I can see the value in having such information published.

I don't understand why you would want to overload the DNS protocol in this
manner.  How would you propose to encode this (what section of what kind of
record)? Would you expect ICANN to ask the IAB/IETF to develop an RFC for this
extension?

I'm also curious where you would use this query/response. In each client? At
antispam gateways?  How would you assure that the feedback loop you create
would have a low incidence of false positives, i.e., could you deploy this with
confidence that attackers would not attack the system and cause legitimate
sites to be block-listed?

It's tempting to look at a protocol that's already deployed and think about
extending its utility to satisfy other needs. It might also be useful to think
about a more out of band solution that complements what antispam software
currently does with existing block list types of databases.