ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions

  • To: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:14:21 -0700

DNS is fast and low overhead b/c for the most part no one has tried to make it
do more than it ought. In fact, I would argue that the DNS may be the least
overloaded protocol above TCP (look at the competition- FTP, SNMP,  SMTP, HTTP,
SIP - lols).

However, you are correct that name servers know a lot more about the state of
the name service than the DNS protocol "reveals", so I agree that the DNS can
return more information than it does.

ICANN isn't the body that decides what the DNS protocol does and does not do.
ICANN does policy, not Internet architecture and protocol definition. If you
want to enact the change you are suggesting, you have to go to the IETF. That
body has to agree that what you suggest has merit and that the DNS is the
appropriate protocol. Then someone (perhaps you) has to take the idea from
"idea" to a standard (RFC) that describes how this feature is to be
incorporated into the DNS protocol. Only then will you be able to get
commercial vendors and open source developers to implement it in an
interoperable way.

I was on the IESG a long while ago, but I roughly recall the process as
involving at least these steps:

 1.  write up an proposal for an RFC
 2.  identify the data you want the DNS to maintain
 3.  identify the changes/extensions to the DNS query and response messages
 4.  submit it to the IESG/IETF and propose that an IETF WG study the proposal
 5.  push the proposal through standards track process, which involves review
cycles, prototyping, interoperability testing, and demonstration of willingness
to implement by the community (primarily vendors)

Once it's on the standards track, early adopters can experiment with it to see
if it scales, what effect it may have on performance, etc.

Both the DNSSEC and IDN specifications were developed by the IETF. ICANN
continues to develop policy for IDN, and recently we are seeing more policy
"activity" for DNSSEC.