ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Fast Flux Definition - V4.1

  • To: "'fast Flux Workgroup'" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Fast Flux Definition - V4.1
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:02:03 +0100

in my note to RLVaughn i suggested "one or more plurally purposed hosts", which if one ignores plurality of purpose (another suggestion), places at least one other than "legitimate" node in the network. i see your point that zero is an interesting case as well.

if there is interest, i can forward my original suggestions to RL to the list.

Kal Feher wrote:
A thought regarding the first point.

Does the network need to be made up of compromised systems?

Obviously it is the most common scenario, but I can imagine quite a few alternate scenarios where the hosting software is "legitimately" installed on a large base of systems, both knowingly and unknowingly. We should not digress into the legality of "click wrap agreements" but merely acknowledge that legitimately installed and operated software could still be used to deliver illegitimate content in a manner that would mirror FF behaviour with regards misdirection and obfuscation of the operators identity.