ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Cost of Delay - V1.o

  • To: "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Dave Piscitello'" <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>, "'fast Flux Workgroup'" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Cost of Delay - V1.o
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:58:38 -0400

I tend to agree with Dave.

I would like see data-driven quantification of the problems related to
criminal fast flux only -- not an estimate of percentage of online crime
overall.  An estimate of how many fluxing domains there are, and what kind
of activity is happening on them, would be very useful to quantify the
problem we are trying to solve.  Unfortunately I have not seen good figures
yet for those metrics, illustrated by the research coming in.

A few observations:
* Most fast-flux domains I see are not selling counterfeit goods or pirated
software, so I have no idea whether they are valid categories to count
equally.
* The ASProx example is very interesting as it has direct bearing on our
ambit.
*  I'm not aware that all Rock phishing is conducted on fast-flux networks.

All best,
--Greg