ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed solutions

  • To: <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed solutions
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:59:46 -0700

This concept of the trusted requestor is also embodied in the APWG plan that
is moving towards implementation in dotAsia and hopefully elsewhere.

The liability issues are manageable.  I bet that more than 100,000 domains
have been taken down without notice to the registrant, in order to mitigate
criminal activity, and I am not aware of any lawsuits against a registrar or
registry arising from those takedowns.  Is anyone aware of such a lawsuit?

The entire ICANN contract chain permits de-registration in the event of
criminal activity, and/or to protect the interests of the
registry/registrar.  All of those provisions are beneficial to registrants
and end users who are or otherwise would be victimized by criminal behavior.

Thanks,

Mike

  _____