ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Registrant Verification: additional language for 5.7

  • To: "Fast Flux Workgroup" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Registrant Verification: additional language for 5.7
  • From: "George Kirikos" <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:16:49 -0400

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Dave Piscitello wrote:
> This is an important point. Perhaps you might say "additional" rather than
> "stronger" and amplify by giving an example or two of the kinds of
> verification procedures the GNSO should consider?

Sure, I provided a few examples to the list in September, see:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-ff-pdp-may08/msg00643.html

Not only is it a deterrent, but it increases the efficacy of the
efforts mentioned in lines 944 to 946 of the current draft, i.e.
"Allow the Internet community to mitigate fast-flux hosting in a way
similar to how it addresses spam, phishing, Pharming, malware, and
other abuses that also take advantage of the DNS and Internet
protocols."

Just as an aside, Directi suspended 175,000 domains a few days ago:

http://blog.directi.com/0-directi/actions-against-registry-services-abuse-–-report-oct-2008-hostexploit-and-directi/

It might provide data for this workgroup if any of those domains were
alleged to be involved in malicious fast flux behaviours. Privacy
protection was removed from a large number of related domains, too.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
www.LEAP.com