ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Registrant Verification: additional language for 5.7

  • To: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>, George Kirikos <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>, Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Registrant Verification: additional language for 5.7
  • From: Paul Stahura <Paul.Stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:08:10 -0700

George,

Before we go there, shouldn't we show that putting these (probably expensive)
"verification" procedures in place actually prevents the bad thing (certain
fast fluxing names in this case)?

Plus "verification" is easily defeated by the bad guys - city matches state,
matches zip etc.

And that's only if the bad guys are really using "bad whois" when registering
domains used in bad fast-flux activities.
Don't that bad guys actually use good whois/credit card info/etc when
registering a fast-flux name (so it stays up longer)?

I disagree with your proposed change