ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Registrant Verification: additional language for 5.7

  • To: "Fast Flux Workgroup" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Registrant Verification: additional language for 5.7
  • From: "George Kirikos" <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 14:00:06 -0500

Hi folks,

One will note that even Craigslist is using a form of verification to
crack down on prostitution ads on its network:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700ap_tec_craigslist_prostitution.html?source=rss

"As part of Craigslist's agreement with attorneys general around the
country, anyone who posts an "erotic services" ad will be required to
provide a working phone number and pay a fee with a valid credit card.
The Web site will provide that information to law enforcement if
subpoenaed."

"We don't view it as a penalty, we view it as raising the
accountability," he said. "A legitimate business should have no
problem with that. They should have no problem providing a phone
number or credit card credentials."

Of course, telephone verification has various problems, notably the
ability to easily obtain throwaway telephone numbers, whereas for
WHOIS verification I would instead focus on the mailing address, since
there are a finite number of real locations on earth.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
www.LEAP.com