ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:35:04 -0700

Dave Piscitello wrote:

I do not understand why TXT records in the DNS protocol is the way to do it and no one has provided a compelling argument why the using the DNS protocol in a non-standard way is the preferred candidate. If the information is simply arbitrarily constructed ASCII, you could use other protocols. Maybe I'm too much of a protocol purist, but if I have a specific kind of resource I want to the DNS to return, then I think the correct way to design a protocol is to identify a new query and record type, not to say, "in this ICANN policy and context, we are using TXT records constructed in this fashion for this purpose".
It's not a new protocol. It's standard DNS used in the same way that DNS list are used in the spam filtering world. The reason to use DNS instead of Whois is because whois want designed to be massively queried the way DNS is.

Someone's got to write the DNS server code to populate TXT records in this specific way. Is this all custom code? Do you want ISC, Nominum, NSD/Unbound, etc. to include this in libraries. Or is it your expectation that the DNS operators will custom code this because ICANN makes it a policy? Is any interoperability or compliance testing required of the DNS operator under an ICANN agreement?
That would be trivial I think. Using the open source program rbldnsd it could run off of very simple test files. Implementation is trivial.

I think Joe's question -- does this information exist today and is there a way to deliver it?
No - it doesn't.