ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Defining the Mission

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Defining the Mission
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:05:24 -0700

I have to agree that there is some confusion about what we are supposed to be doing here. I have to confess that I have never heard of Fast Flux hosting until I joined this group. To me it is still theoretical. I understand the mechanisms and the concept though, but only as a concept.

Based on the fact there's a working group I'm led to assume there actually is a real problem and it's being used for fraud and it's a big enough problem that we need to deal with it. And Wendy has brought up the issue that Fast Flux might have a legitimate free speech purpose which I would like to understand in that if I were a dissident in some oppressed country fast flux does not seem like it would be anywhere close to my first choice in getting the word out. So I too would like to understand this from more than just a theoretical concept. so some more facts are in order.

I tend to be solutions oriented and even in the absence of facts doesn't mean that a solution can't be crafted. I personally am generally opposed to restriction based solutions because of unintended consequences that end up hurting legitimate users more than the criminals who adapt. I also need to understand what role ICANN has in this. Is ICANN an extension of law enforcement? Is this a slippery slope of some sort? But being a new guy at this I thought I'd just listen and perhaps pick up from those who are more experienced at this sort of thing.

So - as I understand it there are criminal elements using fast flux to perpetrate fraud on the public and or job is to find a way to thrawt them as much as possible without burdening the legitimate use of the Internet. The current suggestion being to impose some limitations on the rate of changes allowed to be made at the registrars and setting policy for minimum TTL values on NS records, which if carefully done might be a step in the right direction. Or we might provide flux information through DNS so that the Internet community can police itself.

So - let us reason together and carefully craft the best solution possible. And if I'm not clear on something then correct me.