ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Whois through DNS - The Details

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Whois through DNS - The Details
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:01:33 -0700

Continuing with my line of thinking .....

WHY HAVE A DNS VERSION FOR WHOIS

The reason to have a DNS based version of Whois is for high speed distributed access to whois data for real time queries of whois information. As someone in the spam filtering business I'm looking at it from that perspective. There are other perspectives as well and others should join in.

What I do is front end spam filtering. The customers point their MX to our servers, we filter it, and forward the good email on to the customer's existing server. This is done in real time so that the email users don't see any noticeable delays.

In the spam filtering world we use DNS to post all kinds of data, much of which is unrelated to the original purpose of DNS. We are essentially using DNS as a high speed database and we, in the spam filtering world, have very solid and widely used tools for doing this. So I'm talking about using existing and well accepted technology. No new technology or untested technology is being suggested here.

The existing Whois infrastructure isn't suitable to handle the speed or load levels required. DNS however is suitable and it is an established method used in the spam filtering industry. Thus the idea here that I'm suggesting is to take parts of the public information that already exists in whois and make that same information available to the world through a different high speed protocol.

WHAT WHOIS INFORMATION NEEDS TO BE AVAILABLE THROUGH DNS?

Generally the registrant is of little use in detecting spam. However the registrant might be useful in detecting good email. Many spam filtering companies not only focus on actively detecting spam. Many of us focus on detecting good email to avoid false positives. It is more important to not block good email than it is to block junk email. So in the spam filtering world we might create a registrant reputation database that would be useful in classifying good registrants.

As to fast flux, if the registrars were to publish DNS nameserver change information through DNS that could be useful. This is not part of the current Whois protocol, but it is public information in that if I were to monitor all domains I could construct this information myself, although it would be massively inefficient. So this wouldn't reveal anything that wasn't already technically public.

I would also be interested in the age of the domain. Or alternatively the starting date, or perhaps the expiration date. Much fraud is done by new domains which I might subject to a higher level of scrutiny. However, if the domain is paid up several years in advance then that indicates permanence which can be used as a white rule.

Another key piece of information would be the registrar of the domain. There may be some registrars that are very exclusive and very expensive that spammers would never use (with the exception of free mail domains like Google, yahoo, hotmail). But more importantly - if I know the registrar and I detect an issue then I know where to report the problem. For example, someone impersonating Well Fargo Bank registers wellsfargo.cn and sends fraud spam, if I know that they registered with godaddy.com then I could send an automated email to them that a domain under their control is being used for fraud.

Additionally the email address of the technical contact is also useful for reporting problems.

I believe much spam, fraud, and abuse can be stopped through fast automated reporting of problems. If this information were published through DNS then we in the spam filtering community can work with the registrars to quickly report and shut down domains being used for fraud.

WHY AN INFORMATION BASED SOLUTION IS BETTER THAN A RESTRICTION BASED SOLUTION

The quick answer is response speed and precision. Policy is slow and imprecise. I can't think of any way through policy that we can distinguish good fast flux from bad fast flux. If we restrict free speech then it might take years to undo the damage. And those in the fraud world will just change methods and move on.

In the spam filtering world if I see a new scam I might be able to write a new rule in minutes and block that scam. If my rule also takes out some free speech I can modify my rule to fix that quickly. The more information I have to work with the more accurately I can distinguish between free speech and fraud. Thus the free speech is passed and the fraud is blocked and reported.

THE NATURE OF SPAM AND FRAUD

A little education about spam and fraud. In order for a fraud to work there has to be a plan that includes advertising the scam to victims, getting victims to respond, and getting the victims money. If any part of the process is disrupted then that scam fails and we win.

Spam always wants to to do something. The want you to click on this link. They want you to reply to an email address. They want you to call some phone number. And one of the easiest ways of detecting spam and fraud is to focus on what the message wants you to do.

Most spam wants you to click on a link and go to a web site. These links either have an IP address or a domain name as part of the link. IP addresses are more easily shut down. However a domain name using fast flux is not.

When I get an email I scan it for links to domains that are blacklisted in URIBL lists. These lists use DNS as a database (as I am suggesting here) to list domains that are web sites used by spammers to get your money and defraud you. These lists are built cooperatively by spam filtering companies coming together and building them. Thus if we see a domain name being used for fraud spam then we can blacklist it and stop all email that links to that domain. This disrupts one part of the process and makes the fast fluxing useless.

If we can detect that a domain is fast fluxing that isn't yet listed we can determine if the domain should be listed taking into account whois information and combining it with other information we know. This will allow us in the real time world to respond faster and stop fraud using the information provided. And the faster we can make an accurate determination the faster we can stop the fraud.

DETECTING SPAM BY BEHAVIOR

Most of the spam that I block is based on the behavior of the spammer rather than the content of the message. There are tricks that only spammers do and if that trick can be detected it can be blocked based on the spammer using the trick. Sometimes it's a combination of factors where if the message is doing A B and C then only spammers do that. Thus fast fluxing in itself might not be spam. But fast fluxing AND wanting you to give up a password would be.

I have some interesting tricks to detect spambots and I can detect spam bots with near 100% accuracy on the first attempt to send spam. One thing I do is post fake high numbered MX records pointing to IP addresses on the same machine that hosts the lowest numbered MX record. I also have a middle ring of fallback servers so in theory these high MX records should never see traffic. However spammers often try to go in the back door thinking the backup servers have less spam filtering than the main server. So they try the high numbered MX records first. Thus hosts hitting the high MX records are noted and I return a 451 temporary error telling them to come back later. This by itself doesn't get them blacklisted.

Spam bots however after being rejected or delivering spam don't close the connection with a QUIT command as their spam is delivered and being polite just uses up processor and bandwidth that can be used to spam someone else. So I also watch for the no quit and note that as well. So if I see the combination of hign numbered MX hits AND no quit and there is any one of other sins I track (bogus HELO, etc.) I can instantly ID the IP as a spam bot and can get them into the blacklist within 2 minutes of the attempted spam. And anyone using my blacklist can then block spam on their system based on my listing of the virus infected IP.

This is just an example of what we do and others in the spam filtering industry do. We look at a lot of information and make automated decisions. The Whois information would help us do a better job. So the solution to fast flux might not be in ICANN doing something to stop it, but helping other through information to stop it.

CONTACT INFORMATION FOR REPORTING IS IMPORTANT

Often filtering companies detect a problem that could be stopped at the source if we could just alert the source that there is a problem. In the case of spambots, the source is the ISP who provides access to the internet to the virus infected victim. If the ISPs knew of problems then they could take action like temporary port 25 blocks or calling their customer to let them know their computer has been hacked so they can fix it. Thus I suggest that through WHOIS and policy that we create a problem reporting infrastructure so that those of us who detect a problem can communicate that to those who need to know about the problem. And we need high speed DNS based whois so that we can use automation to do this.

CONCLUSION

I believe that the worlds spam bots can be completely (or 99%+) defeated through information, communication, ISP tools, and publishing best practices and this can be done without restricting free speech or civil liberties. This war is winnable and if we are careful and think it through we can have a nearly fraud free, spam free world. Quite frankly, I'd like to win this spam war and put myself out of business. I have other things I want to do with my life and although I make a good living at this I have better things to do.

Hopefully I have given you all something to think about. Feel free to jump in and expand or tell me why I'm wrong.