ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Sunday Benefits

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Sunday Benefits
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:09:38 -0400

All,

The question of benefit has two parts. The first one has been mentioned during our two calls -- Wendy and I are looking for example(s) of some use of the techniques of evasion, preferably one or more that "flux" A records and NS records, and do so sufficiently frequently to be "fast". The second hasn't been, yet it is more obvious than any example we may find (and we may not find any examples of a particular technique of evasion, being just two slightly non-random people with small time and zero cash budgets to conduct what is in effect an open-ended survey of covert activity), or any we may hypothesize.

First, from the about page (http://www.icann.org/en/about/):

       *ICANN doesn’t control content on the Internet. It cannot stop
       spam and it doesn’t deal with access to the Internet.
       *

Now, on to the beneficiaries of "fast flux" ...

A. The Business Constituency benefits from "fast flux". Mike R. brought the theory that this is a problem and the venue for some part of the solution for this problem is ICANN to the GNSO in February, and in June the BC got this WG authorized, with much of Mike's original, and still problematic language, intact. There is real growth in the detection of "fast flux", however, this is an artifact of improved detection, not a corresponding growth in the number of distinct rational economic criminal entities exploiting evasion. The problems of spam, porn, malware, ... are not in a greater state of crisis in 2008 than they were in 2007 or are likely to be in 2009, regardless of any act ICANN may take. See above.

Yet here we are.

B. The "security vendors" benefits from "fast flux". The security after-market for Microsoft is a direct beneficiary of the vulnerability of Microsoft's operating system products, and "fast flux" is a marketing tool for some vendors in this market. Some "security vendors" have been accredited as Registrars by ICANN. Security vendors have expanded their presence in the ICANN multi-stake holder process from minority membership in two or more constituencies to having their own PDP-in-progress.

C. The "law enforcement agencies benefit from "fast flux". Budget justification drives institutional mission, and hoopla created by agencies to justify their budgets, from phone phreaking in the '80s to the buzz of the moment, which for us is "fast flux", is a fact of life. "Law enforcement agencies" have expanded their presence in the ICANN multi-stake holder process from no role at all to having their own PDP-in-progress.

D. Some registries benefit from "fast flux". In 2004, in response to UltraDNS' perceived marketing advantage from rapid updates in .org, Verisign started rapid DNS updates in .com and .net. I happen to recall this because as a bidder for .net, we (CORE) had to solve the problem of matching the update rate of the .net zone, from the starting point of being only able to get a .net zone transfer twice a day under the then-current ICANN contract. If you were around then, and you read bids, recall the care and concern that the ISC/IMC and SWITCH bids showed towards the stability and policy of .org.

Just before Paris I happened to notice in a competitor's marketing collateral (CORE operates the back ends of two ICANN gTLD registries) that the competitor was boasting of 15 second global resolvability, and I had to ask, "cui bono?" Not very much of the registrants have a mission critical dependency upon changes in records being globally resolved at sub-minute granularity. Note, I'm not suggesting that VGRS or anyone else who has built-out a very expensive DNS server constellation did so to benefit from a criminal use of that capability, but they did cost/benefit out the use of the capability, and came to the benefit greater than cost conclusion. This is the knob some have suggested tweaking.

E. Some registrars too have built out very expensive DNS server constellations. The same cost/benefit observations apply, and this too is the knob some have sugested tweaking.

To generalize from these last two, the "stupid DNS tricks" that have been toyed with since the mid-80s, initially just to make cluster computing a happy camper in the DNS, have been done without much thought about security. The first "DNS load balancing" RFC -- RFC 1794, written in the first half of 1995, but based on work that goes back to the mid-80s has this --

       *9. Security Considerations

       Security issues are not discussed in this memo.*

Finally, to the "who benefits" pile there are all the business models that are based upon the increase of dynamicism of delegation change and domain deletion, which are -- to quote Paul Vixie, "driving a bus through a loophole".

F. Akami and all the policy based (directed) load balancing schemes that publish different answers in different regions, that deliberately create incoherence, are beneficiaries of "fast flux", as the "fast flux" problem statement (see Mike R., above) assumes that policy based incoherence is not a "stupid DNS trick", and inherently harmful.

A decrease in the time from an add on the provisioning side to the change being visible on the publication side (resolution) is different from decreases in the times for delegation change and domain deletion.

The "VeriSign's rapid DNS updates in .com/.net " threads in July of 2004 on the NANOG list could benefit us, and not just because you all would get to read vintage "me", but because it wouldn't hurt to read the views of the operations community on this very subject as the fundamental change occurred which made "fast flux" possible. And don't forget that its not just Verisign, and its not all registries, and not all registrars.

And that's my Sunday contribution on benefits.

Again, my goal is to try and get a better understanding, even if just for my self, of what the benefits are, and what they are not. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind that has already come to some other conclusions I haven't learned to share.

Eric