ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Preference for information vs policy-based solutions

  • To: "Fast Flux Workgroup" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Preference for information vs policy-based solutions
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:55:32 -0500

Another action-item followup email.

During the phone call a topic that interested me was the question of the desirability of information-based vs policy-based solutions, and I took an action item to kick that conversation off.

I don't want to *describe* the solutions in this thread. Rather I'd like to get a sense of the group as to which approach, in general, they prefer.

I'll start this off. In general, i prefer information-based solutions over policy-based ones for the following reasons;

- There's a lot of power in that old adage "that which gets measured gets done". - Information-based approaches are likely to be a lot more nimble/flexible than policy-based ones (they can be enacted and modified much more quickly) - I personally prefer tinkering with things at the edge of the network than the core, especially this early in the evolution of the attacks - My intuition is that some of these solutions could either be added on to existing businesses (eg spam blocking), or new businesses could be created to deliver them - They look to me to be more opt-in (for ISP/registrar/registry/users) than policy-based solutions

As I type this list, it starts to look like a list of principles or criteria upon which we could evaluate various solutions. So again, this isn't a list of solutions (Marc, your note came as I was writing this). Rather, let's start developing our preferences for the *kind* of solution we'd prefer and why.

By the way, I am happy to eliminate the dichotomy between information and policy-based solutions, I'm just sticking with it to tie this back to the phone call. So if others are uncomfortable with the either/or distinction that's fine with me. I'm actually much more interested in those criteria.

Have at it,

voice: 651-647-6109
fax: 866-280-2356

web: www.haven2.com