ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Towards a recommendation

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Towards a recommendation
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:06:04 -0400

The downward pressure on TTLs, begun by UltraDNS in 2004, and followed by Verisign the same year was the occasion of two policy errors by ICANN.

While widespread use of dynamic, low-TTL A-record bindings generally do not greatly increase DNS related wide-area network traffic, dynamic, low-TTL NS-record bindings, and dynamic, low-TTL A record bindings for nameservers will increase the load on the root and gTLD servers by about a factor of five and significantly harm DNS scalability.

Independent of the business model cited in support of dynamic, low-TTL A-record bindings for nameservers, or dynamic, low-TTL NS-record bindings, ICANN's policy, consistent with its fundamental mission "the Internet secure, stable and interoperable", should have been, and should now be, prescriptive of dynamic, low-TTL A-record bindings for nameservers, or dynamic, low-TTL NS-record bindings.

While additions, changes, and deletions to zone files are all technically equivalent deltas to zone files, and commonly published as updates without distinction, the use case for "speedy additions" to a zone is significantly different from the use cases for "speedy changes and deletions" to a zone.

Independent of the business model cited in support for failing to distinguish between the use cases for "adds" relative to "changes and deletes" to zone files, ICANN's policy, consistent with its fundamental mission "the Internet secure, stable and interoperable", should have been, and should now be, prescriptive of an increase of dynamicism of delegation change and domain deletion.

I've reviewed the RC list traffic on this subject since the date of Mike R's request for a second (February 27th, 2008), and I think the above, which for those this is simply too geek, can be read as "turn the clock hands back four years", places the burden where it belongs, which is the point of origin of the feature-or-bug, and is consistent with the interests of the RC.

Additionally, as a registry back-end operator, I don't reach this recommendation unconcerned by its effect on the operators of the largest, and most affected by "fast flux" registries. I am sympathetic to the delayed discovery of error, and the cost of unrolling a competitive advantage that time and circumstance prevented its authors from fully appreciating when the error was made. Never the less, our industry has matured, and I'm optimistic this will be received in the spirit it is offered.

Cheers,
Eric