ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] HydraFlux - Or How can things can get even worse...

  • To: Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] HydraFlux - Or How can things can get even worse...
  • From: Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:01:50 -0700

http://securitywatch.eweek.com/exploits_and_attacks/say_hello_to_hydraflux.html?kc=EWKNLSTE072208STR4

This article gets into the details of how "fluxing" botnets are evolving even further to have decentralized content servers. As people in the security world have gotten better at figuring out how the end-point bots on botnet served systems communicate with their back-end "mother ships" that have the original content being distributed, they've been able to make a dent in the overall operations of these networks by tracking back to that server and killing it. Not literally killing it of course, that's a figure of speech! That is REALLY hard work in most cases, but we're getting better at it as a community by looking at netflows, deconstructing the malware, and other things. Now the bad guys are building further resilience into their systems with decentralized/redundant content servers to make taking out a single content server much akin to taking out a single bot - in the long run the malicious content remains.

What's that mean to us? Well, these networks provide web content through the fraudulently registered domain names we're talking about. With these emerging techniques in making the underlying physical infrastructure that much harder to detect and eliminate, it makes the one part that's relatively easy to detect, and hopefully mitigate/ prevent - domain names - that much more important to deal with in some systemic way that significantly raises the "costs" to the bad guys. Just another example of the bad guys changing techniques that we have to keep in mind.

Rod