ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] HydraFlux - Or How can things can get even worse...

  • To: "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'RLVaughn'" <RL_Vaughn@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Fast Flux Workgroup'" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] HydraFlux - Or How can things can get even worse...
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:28:42 -0400

Well, no, that analogy doesn't work.

The browser makers have installed anti-phishing filters.  So when you try to
visit a known phishing page, the browser will first give you
a warning page.  Try it in IE or Firefox by pasting in and fixing this
broken URL:
http://tklab.math.spbu. ru/moneybookers/directory.php?app=login.pl

You can then decide whether to click through to your destination.  That is
crucial, because the browser maker is still giving you the ability to go
where you want to go on the Internet.

Having a network or ISP prohibit traffic to a particular URL may present
various problems and can negatively impact innocent users.  I know some do
it sometimes when a piece of malware etc. gets really bad.

The phish above is on what we call a compromised domain.  The domain itself
it owned by an innocent party.  In this case it's St. Petersburg State
University, and the phish was inserted on its site either via hack, malware,
or inside job.  So, we would not want to shut down this legit domain, nor
would we want to blacklist traffic to the domain.  The phish is therefore
best addressed by contacting the registrant and its hosting provider, who
can remove the offending page from the server.

So, the best practices are:
* for a compromised phishing site: surgically remove the content at the
server, and do not shut down or blacklist the entire domain.
* if a phisher registered the domain: you can take the domain down without
harming an innocent registrant.
* For fast-flux domains: the domain is owned by the bad guy, and the domain
can be taken offline without harming an innocent registrant.

All best,
--Greg