ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Saturday Harms

• To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Saturday Harms
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:06:12 -0500

At the risk of driving some of you crazy, I'm going to relaunch this thread. I'm in "re-read email and extract" mode today.

My first comment is that my replies to the thread completely missed Eric's point. Sorry about that.

I want to pose a question or two, based on our discussion around the definition of fastflux (using Randy's terminology).

- What "harms" would be eradicated by the elimination of volatile compromised host service networks?

- For those that wouldn't be completely eradicated, for which harms would "eliminating volatile compromised host service networks" be your first choice among all mitigation options?

For inspiration, I give you the first four photographs in Marcie's latest farm-blog journal entry -- Mike causing mayhem with the chain saw.

http://aprairiehaven.com/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=616

At 10:53 AM 7/19/2008, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
All,

Dave's note "Jump start on answering GNSO questions regarding fast flux" of July 1st restated the "benefits/harms from/by fast flux" question as "benefits from short TTLs" and "harmed by fast flux", which kicked off our still-incomplete attempt to correct the language of our point of departure.

In the list of "harmed by", Dave listed several cases. I commented on several, in particular these two:

1. Individuals whose computers are infected ...

2. Businesses and organizations whose computers are infected ...

In a nutshell, Dave pointed out that the consequences for individuals, business and organizations who's computers are infected and subsequently used by (and I'll leave this as "fast flux" even though we've no consensus on terminology) "fast flux" are non-trivial. Denial of service by their local access ISP. Far too much service by their local law enforcement.

In a nutshell, my comment was that the consequences are immanent* when these computers are infected, and the infected computers are a commodity, and used until "busy, hung or dead" by the author(s) of the infection(s). They don't get particularly more "busy, hung or dead" if used for "fast flux".

A few days ago** I wrote that Registrants (capitalized, because I'm addressing a specific, contract-created role in a set of contract-defined relationships between gTLD parties, bounded above by 100 million) are not harmed by "fast flux". I looked at the probability of harm, and found that it is, as we say in Maine, "wicked small".

I should have also pointed out then that while it is true that Registrants are harmed by the taking of domains by non-Registrants (or Other Registrants), but they are no more harmed by "fast flux" than by any other non-Registrant taking that is not permitted by ICANN Consensus Policies. Like repurposed (infected and exploited) PCs, domains don't get particularly more "busy, hung or dead" if used for "fast flux".

Today, while Mike is out killing living things with a mower and a chain saw, I'm going to offer the following:

A. Registrants are not harmed by "fast flux". Hijacking and so forth do harm Registrants, but very little is known to Registrars (and no other party within ICANN is in a position to have better information than Registrars) that is specific to "fast flux", so "fast flux" adds no known additional harm to Registrants beyond the set of harms we already know about, and have previously developed PDPs to address (or are still dickering over).

B. Registrars are not harmed by "fast flux". Credit card fraud is a given, its why we have the Add Grace Period, and take-down requests from a variety of sources are a given, and dispute claims and their resolution processes are a given, as well as system loading for dynamic update are given, so "fast flux" adds no known additional harm to Registrars beyond the set of harms we already know about, and have previously developed PDPs to address (or are still dickering over).

C. Registries are not harmed by "fast flux". Transfer interventions, Registrar support costs, and system loading for dynamic update are all givens, so "fast flux" adds no known additional harm to Registries beyond the set of harms we already know about, and have previously developed PDPs to address (or are still dickering over).

While its been most of a decade since I last operated an access ISP (a dialup operation serving Maine), and its been about that long since I've seen any interest in ICANN by the operational side of transit or access network providers, I'm going to offer my experience for that Constituency (left somewhere behind), that --

D. ISPs are not harmed by "fast flux". A whole bunch of bad things are givens for ISPs, so "fast flux" adds no known additional harm to ISPs beyond the set of harms they already know about. A counter-proof would be something of the form "X lost block Y because Y[i,j,k] were used in a FF".

I don't play a lawyer on the net or on TV, let alone an IP practitioner, but given A, above --

E. Intellectual Property holders are not harmed by "fast flux". A counter-proof would be something of the form "X lost mark M in jurisdiction Y(s) because M was used in a FF conducted or prosecuted in jurisdiction Z(s)".

Because the BC brought this (I'm sure Mike R. will correct me even if I'm right), I'm assuming that some businesses are harmed by "fast flux", and their harm is distinct from the harms they experience from other causes.

I'm not "At Large" either , but my guess is that --

F. ALC interests are not harmed by "fast flux". A whole bunch of bad things are givens for the interests represented by the ALC, and "fast flux" adds no known additional harm to those interests beyond the set of harms they already know about and have previously developed PDPs to address (or are still dickering over).

My goal is to try and get a better understanding, even if just for my self, of what the harms are, and what they are not. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind that has already come to some other conclusions I haven't learned to share.

I don't know what harm to the environment Mike will wreak tomorrow, but I'll try "benefits" on Sunday.

Eric
---------
* In popular Indian culture we say "Coyote waits" (or Raven or Racoon or ...), meaning that a trick, or adverse outcome, is waiting for those without foresight or common sense. It is latent malice.

** message id: <mailto:487F214F.5030402@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx><487F214F.5030402@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy