ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed solutions

  • To: RLVaughn <RL_Vaughn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed solutions
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:36:17 -0700

LOL

Randy, given that the Internet is a "collection of interconnected networks",
dismantling does not necessarily remove all Internet-based threats, but could
simply result in compartmentalizing threats to specific networks.

It would be interesting to see how certain network operators would react if
they had no choice but to drink the toxic waste they currently let leak beyond
their administrative domains.

On 7/31/08 2:17 PM, "RLVaughn" <RL_Vaughn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave Piscitello wrote:
> Can we agree at the outset of this discussion that there is no single
> security measure that defeats fast flux and that the solution, like the
> definition, is multi-faceted, each measure contributing in some way to
> reducing the threat?

How about solutions between the two strategies of:
      1)  dismantling the Internet - which removes all Internet-based threats
          with probability 1;
      2)  Doing nothing - which removes all Internet-based threats with
          probability 0
?

The point of the jest being having a handle on the efficacy for
suggested interventions might be of use.