ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed solutions

  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed solutions
  • From: RLVaughn <RL_Vaughn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:17:39 -0500

Dave Piscitello wrote:
Can we agree at the outset of this discussion that there is no single security
measure that defeats fast flux and that the solution, like the definition, is
multi-faceted, each measure contributing in some way to reducing the threat?

How about solutions between the two strategies of:
     1)  dismantling the Internet - which removes all Internet-based threats
         with probability 1;
     2)  Doing nothing - which removes all Internet-based threats with
         probability 0
?

The point of the jest being having a handle on the efficacy for
suggested interventions might be of use.

I'll be frank. I want to preempt another long discussion of TTLs. I am happy to include a
bullet item "TTL monitoring and analysis" as item 1 on the list but let's go
through the discipline of enumerating all the measures we can think of, as we did with
the definition.