ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meeting followup -- "Response Process" conversation

  • To: "fast Flux Workgroup" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meeting followup -- "Response Process" conversation
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 17:48:02 -0500

Hi all,

This is the promised email to launch the continuation of the discussion we started on the phone call today (the meat of this discussion starts right at the 60 minute mark in the MP3 of the call for those of you who want to review the conversation again).

Here's my (somewhat editorialized) summary of the conversation;

Suggestion -- make the response processes more uniform across the parties, perhaps securing or certifying the information-flows between those entities.

Concern -- be careful about giving new authority to trusted/private entities that are outside the normal process of law, as processes that privilege one group of entities over others can make it easier for those privileged parties to take away the rights of others.

And here's a series of ideas, having listened to that conversation again. I can see a place to agree here. Maybe a series of principles would be in order, and here's the start of that list. Let's go into "suggest changed wording, and defend your changes" mode on this.

- Focus process-improvement efforts on existing entities, strive not to create new ones - Limit security and certification to information-exchange processes, not the data that is exchanged (secure the data-flows, share the data-stores) - Do not imbue private entities with the powers that should be reserved for governments

Please propose changes to the "proposal", "concern" or "principles." And feel free to add another section if it's needed. But let's try to be terse in our conversation, sorta like the final stretch of the "Definition" conversation.

Have at it.

voice: 651-647-6109
fax: 866-280-2356

web: www.haven2.com