ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Definition V4.2: concern about "consumer-grade"

  • To: mike@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Definition V4.2: concern about "consumer-grade"
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:10:22 -0700

Hi Mike!

You mentioned:

#To you expert-type-people who've torqued Eric off  -- please note
#that your stake in this game is a little different.  That's part of
#why I ran a little roughshod over Joe earlier in the week --
#ultimately some of us have more skin in this game than others and we
#need to acknowledge that as well.

Interesting observation. When it comes to "skin in the game" I would note:

-- there is no question that ICANN, the registries, the registrars
   and other defined constituencies have "skin in the game", however

-- *users of the Internet,* also have "skin in the game," albeit hundreds
   of millions of little pieces of hide in some cases rather than a few
   bigger skins, but hundreds of millions of things should add up to
   something. And it is the USERS of the Internet who suffer the most
   when domain name-enabled abuse occurs.

So at the risk of conjuring up Brendan Sullivan from the Iran-Contra
hearings of over ten years ago, let me just echo his comment and say,
"I'm not a potted plant." I'm here to participate, and I will do my
level best to do so in a way that contributes and which is fully
respectful of all other participants, but if there's a substantive or
procedural issue that needs discussion, I'd be remiss if I refrained
from participating because my "stake in the game" is arguably lower.
(BTW, how low IS my "skin" relative to a full-skin participant? Am I
pegged at 3/5ths of a "vote" or am I down in the fraction of one
percent worth of a vote or do I need scientific notation with negative
exponents or what? Just curious about the parameters of the accounting
that's going on here. :-;)

I'd assumed, and I continue to *hope* that it is the *merit* and factual
support for an idea that matters most in a technical policy development
consultation, not whether an idea is advanced by a full-vote Brahmin or
a mere fractional-vote untouchable such as myself. :-)

Regards,

Joe

Disclaimer: all opinions strictly my own.