ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Domain takedown through 100% automation - kicking the hornet's nest of controversy

  • To: marc@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Domain takedown through 100% automation - kicking the hornet's nest of controversy
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 14:00:22 -0700

Marc mentioned:

#I'm not saying the humans be excluded. What I'm saying is that under
#some circumstances that the registrar can choose to use automation if
#they want to and use it in cases where that are 100% sure.

Ack.

#Aren't new domains usually used for abuse?

Depends on whether bogus credit cards are involved in some cases. :-)

#But - here's what I'm really saying. Generally a fast flux domain that
#is driven by a spam campaign has certain identifiable characteristics
#that only spammers do. It is likely that most of these fraud campaigns
#can be identified through automation.

Concur.

#What I'm suggesting is that in the
#cases where automation is in the 100% accurate range and the domain if
#very new (hence the damage from a rare false positive is very low) that
#registrars be ALLOWED to use automation if they CHOOSE to do so. I'm not
#suggesting that anyone be REQUIRED to use automation.

Practically speaking, I'm not sure there's a lot of functional advantage
to trying to force someone to do something there "heart's not in" --
any required action that isn't embraced by the party that's compelled
to do it simply gets token compliance. ("Yes, I reviewed it." <STAMP>
"Next.")

#I also suggest that registrars share common tools and technologies so
#that registrars don't have to individually figure out what works. The
#idea here is to make life easy for registrars.

I think cooperation in dealing with common issues and concerns is a
great idea.

Regards,

Joe