ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Things learned thus far

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Things learned thus far
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:22:46 -0700

Mike O'Connor wrote:

Let me try my hand at restating Eric's post in an imaginary "sales memo" format.

Dear Proposers of Solutions (aka Team Fast Flux),

You haven't made the sale yet. Here are the objections you're hearing from prospective customers and partners;

- Some remain unconvinced that Fast Flux a problem (or a subset of a problem) that needs to be solved at all (providers of data take note, stronger facts would be useful here)

I think fast flux is one step in a greater problem connected to spam and isn't a stand alone problem. So I assume that if we are going to solve anything it's in the context of the bigger picture as to how fast flux is used (illegally) as part of a spam driven fraud campaign. I'm leaning towards that if you eliminate the spam you eliminate the fast flux (except for getting around Chinese firewalls which is legitimate). FF can help detect the spam and the spam can help detect the FF.

But - I have to agree that FF isn't an issue by itself.